Gray, George "Lefty"
"Lefty's" pitching career got its start in the early 1930's in the East Akron Little League and was nurtured at East High and while hurling during the summers with the Goodyear Squad teams. The Killian Celtics, considered by many old-timers as the best amateur team Akron ever had, used Lefty's talented arm, as did Seiberling Tire and the Slovene Center teams. After compiling a 12-2 record with Penn Drake Oil, Gray moved into the pro ranks with Sandusky, a Boston Braves affiliate in the Ohio State League. From there, Gray pitched for the Akron Yankees and South Boston, Virginia. After serving in WWII, Lefty coached youth teams for 20 years in the south Akron area, developing many excellent players. He retired from baseball in 1973.